There’s hardly any Canadian with an internet connection who hasn’t watched videos on YouTube. It’s the single most extensive archive of all videos you can find on the internet with more than 500 hrs of video content uploaded every 60 seconds! Almost everyone knows there’s money to be made from the content they see on YouTube.
However, professional YouTubers will charge you an expensive fee for a crash course that only covers the basics, which if we are honest, isn’t helpful. Lucky for you, this article will show you everything you need – that is if you’d like to learn how to make money on YouTube.
Top Earning Canadians on YouTube
Contrary to what you think, there are lots of Canadians crushing it on YouTube. These Canadians make millions of dollars every year on YouTube. And guess what? You could be the next YouTube millionaire!
Lily Singh is a comedian, vlogger, and actress. Also known as IISuperwomanII with 14.9m subscribers on YouTube. She’s been on YouTube since 2010.
Also known as VanossGaming, Evan Fong is a gamer who has 24.8m subscribers on YouTube. Ever present on YouTube since 2011.
Lewis Hilsenteger has two YouTube channels, Unbox Therapy and Lew Later. Both channels give him a combined subscription of 16.5m. He’s mainly into tech and gadgets, and he’s been on YouTube since 2010.
Also into tech, Linus Sebastian is the founder of Linus Tech Tips and has amassed a subscriber base of 9.81m YouTubers and has been on the YouTube scene since 2008.
Relatively new to the scene compared to other top Canadian YouTubers on the list, Cristine started her channel Simply Nailogical in 2014 and has quickly grown her channel to 9.6m subscribers.
And there you have it! The top-earning Canadians on YouTube. Continue with the article to know how to make money on YouTube, like the millionaires on the list.
YouTube Equipment You Need to Get Started on Vlogging
Before you get on that list, there is stuff you need to get your channel running. Some of the equipment includes:
- Cameras, camcorders, or webcam
- External microphone
- Tripod | Gimbal Stabilizer
- Video editing app
The equipment you need is to create quality videos that boost your chances of growing your YouTube subscription. Not to worry, you’ll also learn how to make money on YouTube without making videos. Now you know what you need, let’s get to the money-making part.
YouTube Partnership Program (YPP)
The most critical step to making money on YouTube is to become a YouTube partner. And the only way to do that is to create a channel. Once your channel meets the criteria for the partnership program, you’d have access to cool features that help you make money in multiple ways. Some of the features include:
- Premium subscription for your content
- Ads on your video content
- Channel memberships
- Super chats.
However, Before you can be considered for the YPP, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have 1000+ subscribers
- 4000+ hours of watched content in the past year.
One viral video that had a million views won’t cut it, as consistency is key with the YouTube Partnership Program. Once accepted into the YPP, you sign up for Google Adsense. And if you’re worried about off-putting ads, YouTube gives you the power to choose what types of ads appear in your video content. So how do you create a channel? By following these steps:
- Sign up on YouTube if you don’t have a Google account. If you do, sign in.
- Click the Settings tab and follow the drop-down and select “create a channel.”
- Make sure you pick a suitable name for your channel. You want it to be catchy and at the same time not too lengthy.
- Upload your content and build your subscriber base.
Once you’ve done the above, you can then make money on YouTube by doing the following:
There are many steps to take for you to learn how to make money on YouTube. Canada is a country with 94% of home internet connectivity. And each Canadian is a potential customer for the products you’d like to sell on your YouTube channel. You can create the product yourself or contract a manufacturer. Do whatever works for you. Once you’ve sourced your products, you can make money by:
- Creating a landing page on your YouTube channel for your website. Once your subscribers click on the link, it takes them to your site.
- Use the shelf feature. The YPP shelf feature allows you to sell your products directly on your channel.
- You can also self-promote your products by wearing or using them on your videos.
If you’ve wanted to know how to make money on YouTube without Adsense, then you should try sponsoring content as an influencer. The good thing about this method is, you don’t have to share your earnings with YouTube (Google). Once you have a substantial subscription base, you can enter into a contract with a brand and sponsor their products on your channel.
The steps to take include:
- Grow your subscriber base
- Find a partner
- Enter into a contract
- Follow Google’s Ad Policy
If you’d like to know how to enable monetization on YouTube through your fans, take the following steps on your channel.
- Super Chat allows your viewers to have visible comments for a limited time. The feature is only for YouTube Partners who live stream their content.
- Channel membership. You can get your fans to pay you to join your channel. Once they become channel members, they can have access to exclusive offers and content that aren’t available to regular subscribers. Just like Super Chat, this feature is only open to a YouTube Partner.
- Premium Subscribers. These subscribers pay to have access to your content. You get a slice of the subscription fee which you share with Google.
Soliciting for financial help online is a method of receiving money, and crowdfunding is one way for you to do that. These are the steps to take:
- Create a crowdfunding account
Patreon support and GoFundMe are some of the sites that allow you to bankroll your projects, whether it’s a charitable cause or educational video. Make sure to select from the list of approved crowdfunding sites from Google.
- Promote your cause on your video content. You can tell your viewers what you want to achieve and how much you need. That way, they can help you achieve your goals.
You cannot learn how to make money on YouTube without first understanding the essentials of vlogging and the ways to grow your vlog.
The steps to take are:
- Create personal relationships. Doing this will allow your audience to connect with you while making your vlog more related to their everyday life.
- Cultivate loyalty. Once you follow step one, step two is inevitable. Subscriber loyalty allows you to grow your brand and makes your content marketable.
- Select a niche. Make sure your niche is an activity you love doing or an area where you’re an expert. That way, you can push out quality content that will make those viewers click on the subscribe button.
- Invest in equipment. You can start with the bare minimum, but as you begin to grow your subscriber base, you’d have to take your content to the next level by using high-quality equipment.
- Good vibes only. Remember, vlogging entails getting viewed by people. No matter what your niche is, try to be confident and fun. The vibes you emit may be the difference between success as a Youtuber and failure.
- Market beyond YouTube. You can put out your video content on other social media platforms with links that link back to your channel. It’s the best way to grow your subscriber base off YouTube.
- Be consistent with your content. Your subscribers have to know there’s always something new and fresh going on in your channel, and this will allow them to come back for more by clicking on the notification icon.
Although YouTube is all about video content, you should read further if you’d like to know how to make money on YouTube without making videos. If you’d like to make money by providing services to Youtubers who make videos, you can do the following:
- VSEO or video search engine optimization
- Video scripting
- Screenplay writing
- Voice over services.
- Graphic design
- Video editing.
The best way to make money YouTube without videos is to be a Channel Trader. Purchase a channel with a good subscription base and make passive income without further investment. The amount you make will be enough to regain your initial investment. To become a YouTube Channel Trader, follow these steps.
- Register here and check out the channels for sale.
- Identify a few channels that suit your needs – preferably 45k+ subscription with a minimum of C$300 monthly revenue.
- Make minimal offers – ideally less than half of the opening price.
- Purchase channel using Trade Guardian to avoid fraudsters.
- Enjoy your passive income.