Are you concerned about your return on investment (ROI) if you get energy-efficient windows and doors installed in your home?
Well, we’ve spoken to Ecoline, Edmonton windows and doors replacement experts, and they’ve shared the latest industry trends and insights related to the topic.
So keep reading to learn more about how new doors and windows can boost your property value.
Core Reasons to Have New Windows and Doors Installed in Your Home
If you are not sold on the idea of replacing windows and doors, it could be because you do not have a solid grasp of the numerous benefits that it offers.
- The main reason most homeowners in Edmonton are replacing their windows or doors is that it improves curb appeal. And boosting your home’s curb appeal directly impacts your house value.
- Another reason for taking on a window replacement project is to enhance your home’s energy efficiency. According to the statistics, around 25-30% of energy leakage is obtained because of drafty windows and doors. Still, the technologies have been significantly improved over the years. Now Energy Star windows & doors are around 20% more efficient than old drafty units, thus boosting the energy efficiency of HVAC systems. This not only reduces their utility bills but also lowers their carbon footprint.
- Accessibility and security come next. New units are easier to operate and provide additional security benefits to bring extra comfort and peace of mind.
What to Consider When Replacing Windows and Doors in Edmonton?
Here are a few factors to consider before replacing your windows and doors.
- Door and Window Aesthetics
Doors and windows play a substantial functional role in accessibility and comfort within your home. However, if you’d like to maximize your comfort, you’ll need to consider their aesthetics and how they will match the vibe of your home. Do you have a specific colour in mind? Do you want them made from a particular material, such as wood or vinyl? Do you want larger-sized windows that’ll filter in tons of natural light? All these are essential questions to answer before signing a replacement project, so make sure to consult with the experts regarding what works best for your house.
- Energy Star Rating
The Energy Star rating characterizes the thermal performance of your doors and windows. It’s a rating given to your units after it has gone through a series of tests in several accredited labs. This rating tells you how much non-solar and solar heat filters into your home through your new windows and doors.
- Double or Triple Glazing
If you live in Edmonton, homeowners usually struggle to decide between double and triple glazed windows. Both provide your home with better thermal insulation against cold air drafts. These windows also improve the value of your home when it’s getting appraised. But since triple glazed units are usually 15% more expensive, it might take your ROI longer to pay off. However, if your house is old or the thermal performance is not that good, it is worth going with triple glazing since you get an up to 50% boost in energy efficiency compared to the double-glazed product.
- Find a Reliable Installation Company
The importance of finding a reliable company cannot be emphasized enough. If a shoddy installation is carried out, your doors or windows are pretty much useless. You’ll have air leakages, and your home’s energy efficiency lessens. A reliable company will have a wide range of units to choose from, they will not put you under high-pressure sales tactics, and finally, they will work to build a great relationship with you. Moreover, ensure they are following the CSA guidelines and your local building code.
Popular Windows and Doors: Prices Breakdown
While installing new units will definitely bring you many benefits, you should understand that this renovation is not going to be cheap. Quality windows or doors will serve you at least for the next 25 years, so choosing the best products from a reliable company is vital. Even though it is impossible to provide you with precise quotes since there are many things to consider, such as frames, glazing, locks, window style, and different add-ons, the table below equips you with the approximate price tags for your new windows.
|Product||Average Price per unit, $|
Source: Ecoline Windows Edmonton
Top 5 Other Renovations to Boost Your Property Value
Based on Edmonton’s real estate market characteristics, here are five home renovation projects that will boost your property value.
- Bathroom Remodel: Remodelling your bathroom is essential before getting it appraised. Many homeowners have attested to getting at least 60% returns on their bathroom makeovers.
- Kitchen Remodel: The significance of updating your kitchen to meet modern functional and aesthetic demands offers a great ROI and other comforts. You can choose to improve storage spaces, add an island, or upgrade counters. When you sell your home, you’ll find out that the majority of the costs, if not all, will be covered by the buyer.
- Wooden Deck: In Edmonton, adding a wooden deck yields higher returns than decks built from other materials, with the ROI ranging between 73% and 100%.
- Basement Remodel: The vast uses of a basement in a home are endless. It can be converted to a gym, an extra bedroom, or even an office. The ROI for a basement remodel ranges between 70% and 100%.
- Siding Replacement: Replacing your home’s siding is another profitable home improvement project that appraisers watch out for because it improves your home’s energy efficiency. ROI for this improvement ranges from 79% upwards, depending on the material.
The Bottom Line
As a homeowner considering several home improvement projects, windows and doors rank high when it comes to profitability. It improves your comfort, but it also makes your home desirable to potential buyers. However, always go for a reliable window company before choosing the new units to ensure that you get the most value from replacing windows and doors.