Since it burst into prominence in 2009, YouTube has established itself as one of the most lucrative avenues to make money on the internet. Creatives and professionals all over the world have made fortunes from churning out content to be viewed by billions of people.
Asides from the elite group of professionals like Music artistes, Movie stars, Journalists, and College tutors who make substantial residual income from YouTube, there’s another group of average Joes who have struck gold on the platform.
Lots of these creatives are making a killing from doing things that make them feel alive. From unboxing toys to playing video games, cooking, telling jokes, or even taking devices apart. The list just gets more bizarre as it goes on.
There are many popular Canadian YouTubers that are absolutely killing it. You might have had their content in your suggestion feeds or seen them on TV one too many times. But, how much money do they really make? Let’s get right into it.
How Much Do Top 3 Canadian YouTubers Make
Wondering how much you can possibly make on YouTube, well, let us take a look at some of the highest-earning YouTube channels based on 2019 Forbes reports according to Forbes.
- Networth 2020: $20 Million
- Subscribers: 14.9 Million
- Niche: Comedy
- 2020 Earnings: $7million
Lilly Singh is a popular Canadian YouTube personality. She is a comedian, actress, and motivational speaker. As at 2020, she has a net worth of $20 million. Also known on the web as “Superwoman,” Singh began her YouTube career as far back as 2010.
- Networth: $24 Million
- Subscribers: 17.8 Million
- Niche: Tech
- 2020 Earnings: $4 million
Lewis George Hilsenteger is a foremost Canadian Youtuber. He runs Unbox Therapy a device unboxing and technology YouTube channel. Hilsenteger is the channel’s host and Jack McCann is the videographer. The channel has 17.8 million subscribers and its videos have received over three billion views.
- Subscribers: 25 Million
- Networth: $11.5 million
- Niche: Gaming
- 2020 Earnings: $3million
Evan Fong is a 28-year-old Canadian. He runs the popular gaming channel, VanossGaming. Where he plays video games and shares tips and reviews of newly released games & consoles to his teeming viewers. He is prominent for playing adventure-based games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and Minecraft.
He has been gaming on YouTube since 2011. He has over 25 million subscribers and racked up close to 12 billion views to date.
How Do YouTubers Make Money?
Now that you’ve seen all the mind-boggling numbers, let’s discuss where all that money comes from.
There are five key avenues to get paid from YouTube. Here is a brief overview of each one.
- Ad Revenue — this is the most easily accessible way to make money on YouTube.
It involves getting paid for allowing other companies to display their ads on your content. Google organizes this through its AdSense program. Typically, Ads that are related to the content that you post will be aired during each video.
You will be paid a commission for each Ad view. However if you are new, there are a few milestones that you have to reach before you can be allowed to join the program.
- Channel Membership Subscriptions — this involves charging a monthly fee to your subscribers. If you have cult followership or premium exclusive content, you can get people to pay to get exclusive access to your channel. It is a great way to earn regular revenue.
- Merchandizing — YouTube allows you to make money from showcasing branded merchandise on your video content. You can brandish the products that you have manufactured. If it goes viral, there’s no limit to the volume of sales that you can make. Another alternative is to market third-party product/services during your videos in exchange for a fee.
- Endorsement Deals – You can also leverage the success of your YouTube channel to make money outside of the platform. Through Affiliate programs, influencer marketing, you can use your ‘star power’ to endorse products and companies. Especially those that operate within your content niche or geographic location.
- Content Licensing – YouTube creatives also make money from licensing their content to other agencies. A company may reach out to use some parts (or whole) of your YouTube content for advertising or any other commercial purposes.
Requirements for Making Money on YouTube
The first step to making money on YouTube is to join the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). And before you can toggle-on the monetization features on your channel, you must meet certain minimum eligibility requirements. Each feature one has its own unique requirements
Requirements for YouTube Partner Program
- 1,000+ subscribers
- 4,000+ watch hours over the last 12 months
- A valid Google AdSense account
- You must reside in a country or region where YPP is available.
- Follow all YouTube monetization guidelines and policies
Requirements for YouTube Ad Revenue
- Must be 18+ ( A minor YouTuber has to have an 18+ legal guardian to manage the AdSense account)
- Content meets advertiser-friendly guidelines
Requirement for Channel Membership Subscriptions
- Must be 18+
- Minimum of 30,000 (ordinary) channel subscribers
Merchandise Shelf Requirements
- Must be 18+
- Minimum of 10,000 channel subscribers
- If you’re getting paid for External sponsored content (separate from the YouTube Partner Program), you must disclose your brand relationships to YouTube when you upload content. Failure to do so might get your account suspended.
Next, let’s take a look at how top Canadian YouTuber’s make money and how much.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a YouTuber with 1 million subscribers make?
A YouTuber with 1 million subscribers makes roughly $60,000 annually.
Who is the highest-paid YouTuber?
First, $25 million; that’s how much. The world’s highest-paid YouTuber is just 8 years old. His channel, Ryan’s World (Ryan ToysReview), has more than 24 million subscribers. He gained global prominence when he was just 2 years old.
Which YouTube Video Has the Highest Views Ever?
“Baby Shark Dance” – Pinkfong Kids’ Songs & Stories with 7.9 billion views
Which YouTube Channel has the Highest Number of Subscribers?
T-series – 177 million subscribers.
Do YouTubers Pay Taxes in Canada?
Yes! Google Adsense revenue (and other YouTube revenue streams) are subject to personal income taxes payable when you file your annual returns with the CRA.
Making money from YouTube is not quite as easy as it seems. It requires putting out a lot of quality content regularly.
If you’re considering becoming a YouTuber, you have to be ready to put in the work or play in some instances.